In February 2020, on the edge of what came to be known as the COVID-19 pandemic, I took one brave step towards a dream I’ve always had: creating space for community-building around great books.
That step and the space that followed became The LibraRYAN, a playful reference to my name (Ryan) and the people I’ve long admired (librarians).
Each month that year, I recommended books that encouraged reflection about the unique struggles and demands of contemporary culture. Over time, a small but loyal group began to “meet” — sometimes here, sometimes over social media, sometimes through personal correspondence — to discuss our ideas and learnings. That was the magic of our experiment; we figured out how to adapt in a time when adapting was essential.
Things have evolved quite a bit since then. Some of those changes influenced the “thoughtful break” this group is now taking. While I do hope to resume our monthly chats at some point in the future, I expect still more will have changed by that point. And once more, we’ll learn to read and respond to the world we are in. Until then, feel free to peruse our past work via the index provided below.
Our 2020 Reads:
- The Launch Post (February 20, 2020)
- March 2020 Picks (March 2, 2020)
- March 2020 Reflection Piece (March 20, 2020)
- April 2020 Picks (March 22, 2020)
- April 2020 Reflection Piece (April 30, 2020)
- May 2020 Picks (May 14, 2020)
- May 2020 Reflection Piece (June 1, 2020)
- June 2020: Answering the call we were all asked to accept long before the untimely death of George Floyd (and too many others like him), I took the month of June to listen and reflect upon the ways I could best serve the communities I call home. There was no LibraRYAN Reading Group in June 2020 as a result. Thank you for honoring that work.
- July 2020 Picks (June 25, 2020) Please read the “picks” post to understand why I made the deliberate choice to refrain from sharing a guided response at the end of July. Thank you for honoring that work, as well.
- August 2020 Picks (August 5, 2020)
- August 2020 Reflection Piece (Septemer 7, 2020)
- September 2020 Picks (September 12, 2020)
- September 2020 Reflection Piece (September 30, 2020)
- October 2020 Picks and Reflection (October 5, 2020 + Comments)
- November 2020 Planned Break Announcement (November 3, 2020)
- *CURRENTLY ON HIATUS*