A Bit Of History:
In February 2020, on the edge of what came to be known as the COVID-19 pandemic, I took one brave step towards a dream I’ve always had: creating space for community-building around great books.
That step and the space that followed became The LibraRYAN, a playful reference to my name (Ryan) and the people I’ve long admired (librarians).
Besides a few thoughtful pauses, each month I’ve recommended books that encourage participants to reflect upon contemporary culture. We’ve “met” a few weeks later to discuss our ideas and learnings, and each time we’ve learned how the group can better serve those it welcomes into the fold. Things have evolved quite a bit since the early days. I expect they will continue to grow and change alongside us. Come along?
Our Work So Far:
Want a LibraRYAN index or crash course? Look no further!
- The Launch Post (February 20, 2020)
- March 2020 Picks (March 2, 2020)
- March 2020 Reflection Piece (March 20, 2020)
- April 2020 Picks (March 22, 2020)
- April 2020 Reflection Piece (April 30, 2020)
- May 2020 Picks (May 14, 2020)
- May 2020 Reflection Piece (June 1, 2020)
- June 2020: Answering the call we were all asked to accept long before the untimely death of George Floyd (and too many others like him), I took the month of June to listen and reflect upon the ways I could best serve the communities I call home. There was no LibraRYAN Reading Group in June 2020 as a result. Thank you for honoring that work.
- July 2020 Picks (June 25, 2020) Please read the “picks” post to understand why I made the deliberate choice to refrain from sharing a guided response at the end of July. Thank you for honoring that work, as well.
- August 2020 Picks (August 5, 2020)
- August 2020 Reflection Piece (Septemer 7, 2020)
- September 2020 Picks (September 12, 2020)
- September 2020 Reflection Piece (September 30, 2020)
- October 2020 Picks and Reflection (October 5, 2020 + Comments)
- November 2020 Planned Break Announcement (November 3, 2020)
- *CURRENTLY ON HIATUS*
Like any of what you see?
Sign up for email updates in North by North Carolinian’s side menu so you never miss another LibraRYAN Reading Group meeting. Or, if you’re a WordPress user, request to follow the blog in the same menu to the right.
Have an idea for something the group should read? Send me a message through my Contact page, or reach out to me directly if we know each other offline. While the group is currently taking a break, I promise that we’ll find each other again soon. And when we do, I have a feeling we’ll be unstoppable. Until then, be well, my loves.
North by North Carolinian
Full concept and content by Ryan Vale McGonigle